Saturday, February 23, 2008

A few Pet Peeves

Originally Posted on 1/17/08

Over the course of the last week a few things I observed while out in public bugged me... so I thought I'd share a few recent pet peeves.

First off, you know the guy at the bar that has all the nice clothes on, the slicked back hair or popped up collar with all the extra accessories too (e.g. watch, bracelets, bling, etc...). You know who I'm talking about, the guy that thinks he's infinitely better than everyone else in the room... you might even have one as a friend. Well, I've come to accept these types but when they go and add sunglasses to the mix too, that's where I have to draw the line. I mean, c'mon! Do you need to where sunglasses in the dimmed bar? Can you actually see anything? What statement are you trying to make? When I see this, I want to do one of two things; clown the guy immensely or just flat out rip the sunglasses off and destroy the evidence. So far, it's always been the first of the two. The friends that are around and I will point him out, "hey, you see that guy, what a jerk-off," I've noticed bartenders get a kick out of them too.

Second, autograph seekers. Autographs from celebrities and sports stars are always a cherished item, heck I have a great collection myself and hope to continue to add to it but at some point in your life you reach a certain age and you really shouldn't be running arm and arm with kids asking for autographs. I'll admit myself that I extended the time frame for acceptable autograph seeking by a few years (probably last seen around the age of 16 or so) but what's worse is when you got someone that's clearly in their late twenties or worse, late forties still hunting down those signatures. Of course, they usually say its for someone else, like their kids at home but serious, we know the truth. So stop pushing little kids out of the way and get on the web or visit a convention or something... you should be able to find what you're looking for there instead of elbowing your way past other smaller, younger counterparts like I recently witnessed at a Laker game. Figure it out people.

And finally, the flower seller. Not the flower shop or the market down the street that sells flowers but the guy or gal that walks up to you in the restaurant or at the event trying to get you to buy a flower right then and there and in front of your companion, date, friend, or whoever your sharing a meal with. I hate this! Are you kidding, do you have to interrupt us to put me on the spot to sell a flower? If I wanted flowers then I can come to you or visit one of the many floral shops in the area. Of course I never react this way but inside I'm thinking, I'm screwed... if I buy this flower that could mean a lot of different things or send a message I don't want to send. I could also be on the worst date of all time but if you don't buy it then you may come off as a a-hole (possibly even towards someone you like). Furthermore, if you decide to commit and make the purchase then you're stuck at whatever price you're told. I mean, it could be a $10 flower and you'll have to pay it cause you can't go back on it once you commit to buying. Not in front of your date. Really, as I see it, this is a no win situation that can bring an awkward moment to what can be an already awkward night.

If you have any others, feel free to share. Cheers.

No comments: